Sunday 27 April 2014

Week 17


Nursing Fluffy back to health has taken up a lot of time this week.  He is getting so bored and he really wants to be let out, but his wounds really need to heal completely.  Even the vet said he was in a very bad state when he examined him, and we were worried he may have used up his proverbial 9 lives.  We were wrong, luckily, and now it is just a waiting game until we can let him out again.  

The weather has been very bad, lots of rain and again, my plants have had to be moved around a bit to avoid getting completely washed out....

We have booked a train trip next week and we are very excited!


It will go from Chieti, and then into the National Park to Cocullo for the Serpent Festival Parade, an age-old Abruzzo custom.  You can read more about this strange festival on Life in Abruzzo.
I am not sure I like the idea of snakes all over the place, but I am hoping to take some interesting photos and then I can add them here.  

I have learned a new word: ophidiophiliacs (snake-lovers)!

The grass has been growing lush and below is the freshly mown lawn with resident feline ambling across......


The figs are developing nicely...


The rosemary bushes dotted around the garden are also getitng bigger...


I throw lots of it into everything I cook!

Some of my containers below, I have to check them every night for snails, which I remove and throw back into nature... the slugs are added into the blue pot and then emptied out later.....


Some of my seedlings and young cuttings are getting ravaged by snails as seen below...... The many sticks are to deter the cats from using the area as a litter tray!  They seem to be able to squeeze themselves into such tiny spaces!


Below some more tubs, with Mini Me loitering in a suspicious fashion ......  You can see some cherry tomato plants right at the front.


We currently have ant invasions on a large scale, so I am dealing with this problem, again at night, when they are most active......

It is all go here, nature wise, and I am enjoying this chance to settle back into the gentle and peaceful way of living here in Abruzzo..... 

Below you can see Freddy and chick hovering in front of the door whilst it is pouring with rain outside. 

 
I have not attended nor presented at the 7th Virtual Round Table e-conference this year, but I hope to catch up with some of the talks as soon as I have a spare moment :-)

2 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed for fluffy- what has he been up to? I took part as a presenter with Shelly last night. We discussed the ebook evo sessions. Today was busy with a CPD session and then have a bit of a crazy week to come. Your garden is looking lovely. I could quite fancy some of those figs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sue for popping by. The vet didn't know exactly what had happened to Fluffy, only that he had suffered a bad injury, maybe he was attacked by a fox or another animal, but he wasn't sure. Anyway, he is becoming more and more vocal, and that is a very good sign!

    I'll earmark the evobook session to view and look forward to seeing it this week.
    The figs are not quite ready yet but when they are ripe they should be quite delicious and I make figgy jam with the surplus, as we have quite a few trees all over.

    Have a great week 18 :-)

    ReplyDelete