Sunday 1 June 2014

Week 22 - Cherries & Beach

At the beginning of the week, the first cherries were picked.  Sadly the insects had already got to some of the sweetest and juiciest ones, but there were still a few left.  

However, the reddest and best ones are way high up, too risky to attempt to grab them as the cherry tree is on a steep embankment. 

 The cherries have been turned into lovely jam, which I now spread on my toast for breakfast each morning!




La Strada & A Thought
To our disappointment our road has been churned up again by passing tractors, and once again, ruts are forming.  I am beginning to despair about this situation that has beset us for the past few years. As soon as this feeling tries to take a hold of me, I immediately tell myself to keep calm and carry on... 

Book
I always think of Cris Stewart's book 'Driving over Lemons' and think that we are far better off than he was when he went to live in his house deep in the  Spanish countryside in Andalucia.  He didn't even have a road going to his new house, and he had to carry his furniture and possessions over a stream!!!  This always makes me feel that our situation is not as bad as his, and he survived and made an international best selling book out of his experiences in rural Spain.  Another part of the Lemons trilogy is The Almond Blossom Appreciation Society, which I haven't read yet, but must do!!

Could K and I ever get our heads together to write a best-selling novel about our very simple life in Abruzzo?  We don't have much money, but we are happy.... Maybe the book could be called, Driving over a Troublesome Road, Two Optimists in Rural Abruzzo'.  I am only half kidding!

Pescara

A trip to Pescara on Wednesday by bus was a very interesting day out.  The graffiti under a bridge caught my eye.  I have no idea what it means.

A walk along the deserted beach was a nice change.  We had a pizza and an icecream in a local beach cafe.


A huge palm tree

  

The beach was practically deserted.  Soon as the summer season commences, it will be difficult to grab an 'ombrellone' to sit under and relax. 

My Cold Frame.....
..... is getting too small for the courgettes, that have been growing rather rapidly.  I have already picked and used a few courgettes and added them to pasta sauces.



One of the kittens out and about in an empty planter.


The pomegranate bush in bloom

All in all a quiet week, but an interesting one....

No comments:

Post a Comment