Sunday 15 June 2014

Week 24 - Boots, Tyres, Toads and Land Work

Fluffy has been recovering from a few cat fights and he is now feeling a bit better.  Photo taken by K.

The kittens continue to have lots of fun and here's one with their mum.

 This one is very lively and mischievous!

...and is also known as the 'food sweeper' kitten!

It was very hot on Friday 13th and in this image, you can see 3 kittens and Olivia and Socks all having a cat nap.


That night I got a picture of the full moon but it looks a bit blurred....



Gardening..
One of the pot courgette plants in flower

K has given me some of his old CapoNord motorcycle tyres to recycle, and I have used them as a container for my Sedum plant below and more courgettes in the veggie plot!



K's old boots have been recycled and now they are unusual plant pots!


 
A very ugly toad caught in a dark corner of the garden.  He nearly scared the life out of me! He is so cleverly camoflaged, it was no wonder I didn't spot him.  He then proceeded to hop onto my pots, as seen below.  I have to confess I don't like toads at all, but recently the snails have not been visible, so that is a good thing a toad does, eats them all up!

 
This huge lizard was caught by one of the mummy cats to give to her kittens.  She is feeding them very well indeed!  I guess this is a lizard who had  an untimely exit.



The fields opposite are full of bales of hay, waiting to be collected by the local farmers.  The weather is very hot, in the 80s!!

Of course we can't afford a professional baler, so this is what my gathered hay looks like!  It was very hard work in the hot sunshine..

Only a third of the land has been worked on so far, but not bad in a day's work!  Before it used to take us a week or so to do the same amount without the cutter!


 My cap, garden sack and raker is all I have to do this sweeping-up job!!

Whilst out with K in our jungle, I came across thousands of cornflowers along the path K has created!  Their beautiful bright colour is so eyecatching. These are purple, as opposed to the usual bright blue, so I may be wrong calling them cornflowers....


 Naturally I picked some and added them to a vase!

You can read more in wikipedia about this flower-  Centaurea cyanus.

I have enjoyed working in the garden so much this week!  It was really high time I devoted myself fully to helping K out with keeping things in shape.  

I sometimes wonder at how life has changed, from being a city girl, to being a temporary land worker in 2014!!






2 comments:

  1. I always love your cat pictures. Those kitties are getting big now and it's always interesting to see their personalities develop. Your land must take a lot of time. I only have a little garden, but it takes time too :-) Looking forward to what next week brings- it contains my birthday too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope next week brings you lots of nice surprises for your special day! Here's wishing you a very happy birthday, and am looking forward to seeing your pics next weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete