Sunday 23 November 2014

Week 47 - All About Abruzzo!

It's been a very quiet week, so not many photos, I am afraid!  I took some photos when we went to the local DIY store.  Here you can see the sliding door at the entrance which says' Now is the time to do / make something!!' There was a DIY promotion week, with some low prices on many items.



Below you can see a shelf full of Abruzzo wines.  

Hard to choose which one to buy really as they are all quite reasonably priced!  We bought a bottle of Montepulciano d'Abruzzo 'Miglianico' and it was very nice indeed.



 Bottles of wine from Abruzzo are usually quite expensive in the UK, but of course, they are much cheaper here, where the wine is actually produced.

Below in the distance (yellow/orange colour of the grapevines), you can just about make out one of the many vineyards near our home, which produce this special wine.  There are many 'cantinas' in the area, where you can buy bottles straight from the producer.

K took the photo above and I took the one below, both of the same view.


I introducd myself on an online course I am doing, and below is a collage that I included:

Still on the theme of Abruzzo, I have 2 copies of a magazine called 'Tesori D'Abruzzo'.  It is published 4 times a year and for 5 Euros, you get fabulous articles about Abruzzo's history and heritage, and also some wonderful photos.  I have numbers 30 and 32.  I wish I had bought all of the numbers as they came out, as to have the whole collection would be fantastic, but at 9 Euros for a back copy, that would make it 279 Euros for the whole set (gulp!!), which is way beyond my very modest means.... 
This magazine was first published in July 2006 and below you can see some of the early copies available to buy.


I decided I wanted to subscribe for a year, and it was a very simple process.  I downloaded and then printed off the online subscription form, filled it in, then paid 19 Euros at the Post Office, and now I am waiting for the first one to arrive which should be in January.  I can't wait to get it!  However, not sure how it is going to arrive as the postman is still not delivering to our house, so we will probably have to collct it from the PO.

Whilst reading one of the 2 copies that I have, I noticed this absolutely stunning video, highlighted on the main page.  It is called Twofold Nature - Abruzzo Sublime and Beautiful, from Alessandro Petrini.  I think this will certainly encourage a lot of visitors to come to Abruzzo!!


Twofold Nature - Abruzzo Sublime and Beautiful from Alessandro Petrini on Vimeo.

2 comments:

  1. I always think about you when I have a glass of Montepulciano :-) Which is quite frequently. Nice to be in someone's thoughts, though. The video is lovely. I really must come out your way sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be great! You too live in a beautiful place with stunning scenery and the sea so close by, so we are both quite lucky in that respect. Thanks for thinking of me when you drink Montepulciano...glad you like it :-)

    ReplyDelete