Sunday 2 March 2014

Week Nine

Week nine started off well and I had a bit of free time to pick some flowers from the garden, which included a few daffodils, pink narcissi and flowers from the Viburnum Tinus bush, which is flowering at this time of the year.  The vase below is a gift from Tunisia from my friends Kamel and Pat.  I visited Sousse in 1988 and this vase is a lovely souvenir of that visit.

I started moderating a group of 16 teachers online, and I am looking forward to interacting with them on a daily basis for the next few weeks. Inbetween checking the forums I have plenty of time to devote to the garden and other household things.

K put up the cold frame he had bought me for my birthday present. I like it very much!



I sowed lots of seeds.  I am not sure if it is too early, but I have so many seeds that it is ok to experiment! If nothing happens, it won't be a big deal. I used part of an old wooden box to sow the seeds in 9 different compartmentsI always like to recycle as much as I can...



Tuesday 25th February
Five years ago today in 2009, my mother had her accident which changed her life, and in part, our lives forever. With great fortitude and positive thinking, my mother has made a good recovery and for this we will be eternally grateful.  This morning she has asked for the priest to say a mass of thanksgiving.  To say thanks to God for being alive.  I am sorry I cannot be there in person with the whole family, but we are with them in spirit. 

It is now time to look forward and try to forget the occasions in the past five years which were turbulent and extremely stressful for the whole family....

A phone call from Allessandro in Chieti to ask if we could collect the overbed unit we were buying off him.  It is of solid wood and originally handmade for him.  This is one of the 2 parts.  We have to collect the other bits on Friday. We are both delighted with this purchase as it is a fantastic piece of furniture and it reminds us of a) my former hall of residence Digby Hall, and b) K's grammar school.  Both places were decked in old, wooden furniture exactly like this one....



I am not sure where the unit is going to go, but we both liked it as soon as we saw it!!


Wednesday was spent in and out of the house. I took a photo of this painting in the house.  I like it because of the olive tree in the foreground and the bright pot of geraniums.


This triptych is an original photo that K took of Castel del Monte.  It is quite big and in three parts and it is hanging in the perfect spot. I'd like more of K's pictures of local Abruzzo scenes to hang up around the house.



Saturday March 1st 2014
One of my missions this week has been to start chopping up the branches of this tree and others, which came down in the recent bad weather and landslides.  




A landslide at the back of the barn...the earth has moved and hopefully the heavy rain forecast for all next week will not cause further damage the land around us...

Some of the big pieces of wood will be used for the fire.  It's a big job, and I am doing it bit by bit.  Some of the branches will be burned on the bonfire pile and then the ash will be scattered over the veggie plot.  Nothing will be wasted!!  

 



 A little black kitten playing in the wood pile above and below.



I bought a sack of horse manure 'Stallatico' and that has been scattered over the plot today.


Some cuttings of bay leaf and periwinkle are doing well.



Whilst pottering around I came across lots of little black insects lying under a gossamer-type film.  I have no idea what they are, but they are mostly hiding under dandelions... I don't like the look of them at all.  I wonder what they will turn into??



Sunday Lunch
A lovely traditional Toad in the Hole was cooked by K today.  He really has mastered the art of how to make the perfect Yorkshire batter, and it's absolutely delicious!
 

Roll on Week 10!

2 comments:

  1. It looks as though your week was interesting. I hope that you didn't have more problems with your land. We have seen several land slips here. I am impressed that you have a man who can cook. My husband has just about master the art of going to Marks and Spencer for something to pop in the oven :-). Looking forward to next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue, apologies for not replying to your comment sooner. Yes, K is quite a good little cook when he puts his mind to it, so I do try to encourage him to cook as often as possible :-) Shame we don't have an M&S anywhere near us as it is sometimes very nice to eat in with a takeaway!

    ReplyDelete