Sunday 23 March 2014

Week Twelve

Another week has shot by and I am now in the UK for the next 3 weeks or so.  A different environment, different duties, different roles to be played out... Sadly I have a problem with uploading some of my pictures today so I may add some more when I have resolved the issue..

Before I left Abruzzo, I had a lot of things to do on the land etc.K used the new cutter to mow the wild grass, and I followed around sweeping up the cuttings and piling them up on the back of the trailer, ready for bonfires.

I have entrusted my Cold Frame contents to K and he has his instructions about spraying the seedlings every day.  I hope they won't die, but if they do, no worries.  I have loads of seed packets left and will start afresh as soon as I get back.

I picked a few more spring flowers to brighten up the kitchen for the final few days.



I had lots of housework to attend to, amongst which was a bit of dusting of these cat figurines in the bookcase....


..and some more including  'In the Lobby'


Up at the crack of dawn on Thursday morning and K kindly took me to the airport.  A nice journey and got back in time to meet my mother for a spot of lunch, which was lovely...
 
I cycled into work on the Friday afternoon to do some prepping and copying and couldn't resist taking a few images of Broad Street, full of cycles everywhere!


On the way home I admired the lovely college buildingswhich are everywhere.

Prepping ahead for intros with my new classes I created a couple of new ones. A face Tagxedo full of info re me.  My students have to guess more details about the words enclosed.  They then create their own word clouds to share with the class.


..and then an anagram with the initials of my name.  This fab idea comes from the very informative blog post by  Recipes from the EFL Classroom.

I will invite students to do the same with their initials.



On Saturday,  K sent over a link to the Singing Nun, from Sicily.  I loved it so much that I have already viewed it 3 or 4 times.  Why, you may ask?  It is the stuff of dreams, isn't it?  How will Sister Cristina's life change? She is a devoted Catholic nun, who looks up to God as her teacher.  How is superstardom going to affect her life?  I am fascinated from a psychological and sociological point of view...


Will Pope Francis 'follow' her progress?  I think this is such a feel-good story and I love it!  I had dreamed of becoming a nun when I was a teenager... how would my life have been if I had followed that path??  Who knows... 

The amazing Sister Cristina in action on the 8-minute or so Youtube extract below.  Just watch the amazed looks on the Italian The Voice's judges!!  They asked her if she was a real nun.  She replied 'I am truly a real nun!!'



She chose the Italian rapper J-Ax to be her mentor over the next few weeks on Italy's The Voice.  I have a feeling she might WIN!!  Over nineteen million people have viewed this video on YouTube.  Below J-Ax cannot believe what he is seeing.  He said if she had sung in his church when he was a young boy, maybe he would have been inspired to become the next pope..

I will be following her progress with interest!

Roll on Week Thirteen! Full time F2f teaching for 3 weeks -  here I come!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Janet. Welcome back to the cold part of the world ( at least after Italy). Will you be able to get up to Harrogate while you are in the UK? I saw the nun clip too, what an amazing voice. Great to hear about your week. We think our days are boring and same-y- but actually, interesting things happen without drama on a daily basis. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue, Thanks for dropping by. No, sadly I won't be able to get to Harrogate as I'll be teaching. I hope you have a wonderful time, and I'm already looking forward to hearing more about it from you when you are there.
    Yes, I agree that each day has its own interseting and unique 'happening' and we do lead a very full and varied life!! Enjoy the next week, too!

    ReplyDelete