Monday 28 July 2014

Week 30 - Feeding Time Mayhem

What a chaotic and hectic week with full-time furkid duties!  Trying to feed a horde of animals takes a lot of skill and planning and sadly I lack the military precision necessary for a smooth operation.  There is a clear and strict order of events, chicks off to their pen first, then cats are fed, then girls are walked and fed.  This week it has all gone a bit pear-shaped with the chicks refusing to go to their pen, hence kitties working themselves into a ravenous frenzy desperate for food.  I got my timing all wrong on Monday and the chickens ended up scoffing most of the cat food and everyone tucked up way too late... a bit of a disaster really.

 Socks waiting for her dinner...

Freddy waiting for me from outside...


The problem is that Freddy has turned on me twice now and it hurt!!!  He knows I am afraid of him, so I have to wait til he voluntarily goes to his pen at night before I can shut it and then feed the cats, then the girls... He deliberately hung around in the garden with his beady eyes waiting for me to come out with the cat food plates on a tray.  I dropped the tray and the plates and ran for the door, leaving all the masses to fight amongst themselves.  It is never mayhem when K does it, but he has had military training and this certainly comes in very handy for such duties!!

Tuesday was a bit better, but still Freddy and co got into their pen at 7.45pm, way past their usual bedtime of 6.15pm. Wednesday I had everyone fed, watered and walked and tucked up by 8pm, and I felt I was getting somewhere at last! At least the girls obey me and we have a nice time walking in the beautiful countryside.  They don't go near their food bowls until I give them a special signal. They sit obediently until I clap my hands and say 'OK!' and then they dash to their bowls.  They are not allowed to start eating until I give them this signal.  I wish cats were as polite and restrained as dogs! 

Samantha and me .....

 This statue of 2 cats is tucked into my mini salad area....


My cherry tomatoes are coming along fine, but so much smaller than the usual tomatoes I have sown in the past!!


I was so glad I was protected from this giant hornet by the mosquito frame we have installed.  It was buzzing around angrily just outside the kitchen window and it couldn't fly in through the mesh, thank goodness!  I hate hornets, because they can be very dangerous.

It rained buckets and there was lots of thunder and lightning during the weekend!! I had lots of buckets to collect as much of the rain as possible for me to use for watering my plants!!!

 

It was nice to be cheered up by this Castelli mosaic on the coffee table in the kitchen.  It was also lovely to have family visiting and we had a lot of fun together, despite the terrible weather....

We all listened to 'Happy' by Pharrell Williams!  It is used in Zumba classes and for school assemblies for motivation purposes.

 


My niece made me this lovely beaded chain to hang around my neck when I wear my glasses.  It is really pretty and I won't lose my glasses now!

I suggested interesting places to visit in Abruzzo and this book, called Travels in Abruzzo by Ed di Vitto, is full of lovely cartoons which tell a story about Abruzzo and all the beautiful sights.


This week was very busy but enjoyable!  Roll on Week 31

2 comments:

  1. My poor Janet. I would be as bad as you around Freddie. I really don't like birds very much, and big aggressive ones terrify me. I enjoyed your account of the week- you need to keep listening to 'Happy' :-) Have you given away your kittens yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sue! I have been listening to 'Happy' quite a few times as it is so uplifting! Once K is back, we will be giving some of the lkittens away...I'll miss them!

    ReplyDelete