Sunday 31 August 2014

Week 35 - Sunflowers & Produce


A warm and sunny welcome back awaited me with the sight of some gigantic sunflowers in the garden!  I decided I wanted to enjoy their sunny presence in the house, so I managed to chop the huge stems down in order to get to the flower heads.  Next year I plan to plant a whole area full of sunflowers.

This week was spent in getting my veggie plot back on track.  A lot of produce is now reaching the end of the season, but we still have plenty to eat, which is good news.

I made some fig jam from the freshly picked fruit.  I couldn't resist eating quite a few straight from the fig tree!!  They were absolutely delicious.  Below the figs bubbling merrily away just before the setting point....

Freshly picked celery below waiting to be chopped up to add to the pasta sauce.
 A collection of freshly picked crops including some potatoes, onions, courgettes & tomatoes. This year all the tomatoes came from seed and they are cherry tomatoes.  I think I will buy plants to grow from the market next year, as these are a little bit too small to make too many jars of sauce.

 I couldn't decide which pics to add so have added all of them!




We also have tons of apples and pears and I will have to start jarring them up for the winter to use in puddings.

A lovely week back in Abruzzo with plenty to do around the home and garden.  Next week the weather is set to change for the worse with a lot of rain predicted coming from Eastern Europe.

Let's see what Week 36 has in store.........

1 comment: